Page 1 Page 2 Page 3 Page 4 Page 5 Page 6 Page 7 Page 8 Page 9 Page 10 Page 11 Page 12 Page 13 Page 14 Page 15 Page 16 Page 17 Page 18 Page 19 Page 20 Page 21 Page 22 Page 23 Page 24 Page 25 Page 26 Page 27 Page 28 Page 29 Page 30 Page 31 Page 32 Page 33 Page 34 Page 35 Page 36 Page 37 Page 38 Page 39 Page 40 Page 41 Page 42 Page 43 Page 4424 DELTA JUNCTION GUIDE the alaska pipeline The 800-mile-long 48-inch-diameter trans- Alaska oil pipeline parallels the Richardson Highway through the Delta Junction area on its way to the Port of Valdez. The line is underground where it crosses the Alaska Highway about a half-mile southeast of the center of Delta Junction. At Big Delta the oil pipeline crosses the Tanana River on a cable suspension bridge. About seven miles south of Delta Junction on the Richardson Highway is pump Station No.9 one of 10 pump stations on the trans- Alaska pipeline operated by Alyeska Pipeline Service Company for the major oil companies who own the oil being transported to Valdez on Prince William Sound. Inside the Pump Building portion of the station there are three United 16-by-22 pumps putting through about 1.6 million barrels of North Slope crude oil a day. This makes up about 20 percent of the domestically produced crude oil or about 10 percent of the total consumption of the United States. The pumps are driven by Rolls-Royce Avon gas turbines through a reaction turbine coupling. The pumps require 13500 horsepower each to move the crude oil through at this rate. None of the oil transported by the trans-Alaska pipeline is exported to foreign countries. Most of the oil ends up at East or Gulf Coast refineries. Twenty-two Alyeska technicians and supervisors local residents work here 7 days on and 7 days off 12 hours a day. Also at Pump Station 9 is a Civil Maintenance Contractor crew totaling 10 people assigned to oil spill initial response and line maintenance. Other pipelines have come through Delta in the past.Only one is operating today. Three major pipelines have been built through the Delta area. A pipe section display can be found in front of the Visitors Infor- mation Center. The first pipeline was the three-incher built as part of the famous Ca- nol project during World War II. It delivered refined petroleum prod- ucts from Whitehorse to the emergency air- fields on the Canadian side and to Northway Tanacross Big Delta and Ladd Field now Fort Wainwright in Alaska. During the September 1942September 1945 period 7943 aircraft were delivered to the Russian Air Forces under the Lend-Lease program utilizing these air- fields. At wars end the line fell into disuse and most the pipe has been salvaged out in recent years. The second line is the eight-inch Haines pipeline which was built in 1954 to transport petroleum products from the port of Haines to mili- tary installations in interior Alaska. Parts of this line are still in place and though the line and its pumping stations one of which is located about 12 miles north of Delta on the Richardson Highway have been inactivated the line was used as recently as 1980 when some surplus military fuel was moved out of the Tok area. The third is the 48-inch trans-Alaska pipeline which was completed in June of 1977 twenty-seven months after the first length of pipe was laid. This pipeline begins in Prudhoe Bay and ends in Valdez. It was built by private contractors working for Alyeska Pipeline Service Com- pany the agent for the eight major oil companies who own the oil being transported. The total construction cost was over 9.5 billion. The trans- Alaska pipeline transports crude oil from the oil fields on Alaskas North Slope to the Port of Valdez. Content courtesy of www.alaska-highway.org three pipelines pipe dreams